The Adult Services Department provides adults in all phases of life diverse collections to explore, opportunities for lifelong learning, resources for acquiring new skills, help navigating new technologies, and ways to stay connected to the community. View all upcoming events and classes on the Calendar page.
- Free One-on-One Tech Tutoring - Need help using your tablet, smartphone, or computer? Schedule an appointment with a librarian or volunteer.
- Free Digital Literacy Workshops: The Stillwater Public Library received a 2023 Public Library Association (PLA) Digital Workshop Incentive grant, supported by AT&T. From November 2023 through the end of January 2024, we are partnering with Meridian Tech and local organizations in Payne County to provide free workshops on the topics of Computer Basics, Internet Basics, Cybersecurity and more. Learn more by visiting the digital literacy workshops page.
- Help with E-readers, the OK Virtual Library, & Libby: Stop by the Adult Help Desk anytime to get help installing Libby, troubleshooting your eReader, and more. Need more in-depth guidance or want a full tutorial? Schedule a one-on-one tutoring appointment.
Librarians in the Adult Services Department are happy to assist you with research. Please visit the Research page for more details.
- Ready Reference - Librarians at the Adult Help Desk can assist with shorter questions, generally lasting up to 15 minutes. Librarians accept questions in-person or by phone, email, or via Facebook/Instagram messages.
- Genealogy - We can help you get started with genealogy research by showing you how to use the library's genealogy resources. Visit the Genealogy page for more in-depth information.
- Research Guidance - Including finding books at other libraries, demonstrating how to use library databases, and providing referrals.
- In-Depth Reference Research - We are always glad to give instruction and may be able to perform extensive research, if scheduling permits, under our Fee-based Research Policy.
- Book Clubs (various) - The library hosts several book clubs and provides resources, including a library of over 200 book club kits so you can run your own book club. Visit our Book Clubs page for more information.
- Cookbook Club (3rd Tuesdays, 6 p.m.) - Do you love to try new recipes, talk about food, and eat? Cookbook Club meets in the library on the 3rd Tuesday of the month.
- Sci-fi Film Club (3rd Thursdays, 6 p.m.) - Sci-fi movie enthusiasts watch movies, eat snacks, and discuss. Themes change seasonally.
- Bookworms (3rd Wednesdays) - Community members living in assisted living facilities and retirement homes, as well as adults with memory impairments are invited to attend. Explore new topics and stories and make crafts to help stimulate participants' senses.
Want more information about our monthly meetups? Contact the Adult Help Desk or one of the Adult Services Librarians using the contact information below.
There are numerous events that the library holds regularly. The events listed below are some of our most popular events. Once scheduled the dates will be added below.
- Starting Your Business (quarterly) - The library partners with Meridian Technology's Center for Business Development to provide free "Starting Your Business" programs quarterly. The date for fall 2023 has not been scheduled.
- Finance Classes (annually in April) - We work with Oklahoma Community Credit Union to offer at least one free finance-related class each year, usually in April, during Money Smart Week.
- Ask-a-Lawyer (annually in May) - The Payne County Bar Association partners with the library to provide a free drop-in event for the community to ask legal questions. This event typically takes place in May in conjunction with Law Day, which is officially recognized on May 1.
- Drive-Thru Shred (Saturday, Feb. 24, 9-11 a.m.) - We work with Shred-Away Shredding to provide a free and secure way for the community to dispose of their sensitive documents.
- Meet Your Legislators (annually in January) - Stillwater's chapter of the League of Women Voters invites local legislators and City and County officials to meet with the community and give updates on the upcoming legislative session.
- Summer Reading Program - The Stillwater Public Library offers an extensive summer reading program for all ages. Registration and reading usually begin at the end of May, and weekly programs for kids and teens run throughout June and July. Programs and grand prizes for summer reading are provided by funds from the Friends of the Stillwater Public Library. Numerous local businesses donate reading incentives. Visit the Summer Reading page for more details.
- Community Reading Series - The library regularly schedules community-wide reading events like Let's Talk About It Oklahoma, One Book One Community, or The Big Read.
- Author Visits - Our most well-known authors have visited as a result of our community reading programs, and have included David Grann and Emily St. John Mandel. We tend to have authors with Oklahoma ties visit at least once per year.
Visit our Find Your Next Read page for recommended books and sites to help you find your next read, including the next book in a series and award-winning titles.
Is there a program or class that you would like to see the library offer? Are you a local professional or hobbyist with a skill that you'd like to share with the community? Complete the Suggest a Program form, or reach out to one of the Adult Services Librarians listed below.
The library has received a grant from the Oklahoma Department of Libraries to provide a limited number of scholarships to Excel Adult High School, a completely online program that allows students to progress at their own pace. There is no cost to students who are awarded scholarships. Applicants must live in Payne County, Oklahoma, and be 24 years old to participate.
This program is currently full for our service area. You are still welcome to apply to be on the waiting list and we will notify you if more scholarships become available.