Utility rates are set and approved by the Stillwater Utilities Authority trustees.
About Our Rates
As stewards of the public trust, one of our core principles is to conduct our operations in an open and transparent manner. When looking at rates, the City considers the following:
- Having sufficient financial resources and ability to fund continued operation, maintenance, and construction of high-quality and essential electric, waste collection, water and wastewater services.
- Ensuring facilities are run in an economical and equitable manner.
- Meeting the demands of its customers without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
2020 Cost of Service Studies
The City of Stillwater is a cost-of-service driven utility. This includes all the direct costs involved in running or performing services, which may include equipment, maintenance, construction, expansion, and more. Our goal is to ensure that we are continually working towards developing and maintaining cost-of-service rates that are equitable for all of our customers.
- Avant Energy conducted a Cost-of-Service and Rate Study (PDF) for electric, water, wastewater utilities. This is the first rate study for electric since the 1980s. Water and wastewater have had two rate studies in the past 10 years.
- Move rates towards cost-of-service.
- Limit rate increases to the extent possible.
- Drawdown cash balances as an alternative to rate increased when possible.
- Set rates that allow each utility to be financially stable.
- Set rates that are competitive with SUA's peers.
- NewGen Strategies and Solutions conducted a Rate Study for Waste Management (PDF) services. This is the first rate study performed by a consultant. Prior rate studies have been conducted by City staff.
- Determine the cost of providing solid waste services.
- Equitably distribute the costs to the appropriate customer classes.
- Design rates to safeguard the financial integrity of the utility.
- Electric - Block Billing Service Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Electric Vehicle Charging Station Service Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Energy Efficient Residential Services Rate (PDF)
- Electric - General Service Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Ground Source Heat Pump Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Large Power and Light Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Low Usage Residential Service Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Outdoor Security Lighting Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Power and Light Rate - Primary (PDF)
- Electric - Power and Light Rate - Secondary (PDF)
- Electric - Power and Light, Time of Day - Primary Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Power and Light, Time of Day - Secondary Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Residential Heat Pump Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Residential Service Rate (PDF)
- Electric - Rider Capacitor Rental Rate (PDF)
- Net Energy Metering-Distributed Generation Tariff (PDF)